Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Social Insurance Institution (ZUS)

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Since the first day of employment, all salaried employees hired on the strength of an employment contract or an act of appointment are covered by a compulsory social and health insurance.

The employee has the right to include in his/her health insurance his/her unemployed spouse and children below 18 years (or until they are 26-years-old when still at school) if they cannot have their own insurance.

To ensure his/her spouse and/or children, the employee should submit the statement available here.

If the employee’s family member who is covered by the employee’s insurance qualifies for his/her own insurance, the employee should let the Office  of Human Resources know within 3 days since the qualification decision. If the employee fails to do so, he/she may lose the entitlement to his/her health insurance.

Those on contracts of mandate (umowa-zlecenie), who otherwise do not qualify for social insurance, become obligatorily  covered by retirement, disability, accident and health insurance since the day of their work commencement. Sickness insurance is voluntary. To enroll in any type of insurance, the employee should fill in and submit a statement, which becomes an appendix to the contract of mandate.

The statement form to download

The employee  on the contract of mandate who has a retirement and disability insurance may submit his/her family members for health insurance coverage.

The statement form to download

Specific-task contracts drawn up with individuals who are nor employees do not qualify for social or health insurance

Doctoral students who commenced their study programme in 2019/2020 at the earliest (in doctoral schools) and receive doctoral grants, are required to purchase retirement, disability and accident insurance. Sickness insurance is voluntary and to purchase it, the doctoral student needs to submit an application. If the doctoral student who receives a doctoral grant is at the same time a disability beneficiary he/she may purchase social insurance on a voluntary basis.

Doctoral students who do not receive doctoral grants and commenced their study programme prior to 2019/20 are also subject to health insurance coverage, with the exception of those who qualify for the health insurance on the strength of a different arrangement or are family members of the primary insurance beneficiary. Insurance contributions are paid by the Jagiellonian University and financed by the state budget.

Those who entered a voluntary service contract with the Jagiellonian University  may apply for health insurance coverage on their own accord, on condition of not having a different entitlement to this insurance. To obtain the coverage, a volunteer should contact the Centre for Human Resources to sign appropriate documents.

The  annual disability pension and retirement assessment base cannot exceed the sum equivalent of the predicted average monthly salary in Poland multiplied by thirty. The sum is announced by the minister responsible for social security in Dziennik Ustaw of the Republic of Poland.

The Jagiellonian University will neither charge  the beneficiary with additional contributions for the excess of the announced sum nor transfer any contributions on his/her behalf to the retirement and disability insurance fund.

To determine whether there was an excess of the annual assessment base of contribution rates,  the assessment base of all insurance-related sources (e.g., salaried employment, contract employment) is taken  into consideration. It does not matter whether the insurance of a given type was obligatory or not.

Importantly, the insurance beneficiary is required to let all his/her employers know about the excess of the annual assessment base of contribution rates. If he/she fails to do that or the information he/she imparts is imprecise or wrong, he/she will be held responsible.

A statement to download

The EHIC is a EU document that confirms the beneficiary’s right for medical treatment free of charge in any UE or EFTA country.

The EHIC can be used for:

  • indispensable, unplanned treatment
  • treatment offered by the state health care system of a chosen country
  • the same type of treatment that is offered to citizens of a chosen country

The EHIC card is issued individually, which means that every insured person and their family members may obtain their own card. The card validity is set by the National Health Fund (NFZ). The card is issued by a local NFZ office depending on the place of residence upon submitting an appropriate application form.  To learn more (in Polish) please contact

The additional childcare allowance

The additional childcare allowance was regulated in the Act of 2 March 2020 on special solutions connected with preventing, counteracting and combating COVID-19, other infectious diseases and induced crisis situations.

According to the latest Ordinance of the Council of Ministers (of 8 April 2021), the additional childcare allowance will be due no longer than until 25 April 2021.

In what cases will the additional childcare allowance be pe paid?

  • - in case of closing a day nursery, kindergarten, school or children's club due to COVID-19, which is attended by children or adults with disabilities
  • - if a day nursery, children's club, pre-school, day-care centre or other institution employing day carers is unable to provide care because of a temporary reduction of its operations due to COVID-19.
  • - in the event of limited opening-hours of the above-mentioned institutions


Who is entitled to the additional childcare allowance?

As it has been the case so far, the additional childcare allowance will be entitled to:

  • parents of children up to the age of 8,
  • insured parents of children:
    - up to 16 years of age who have a disability certificate,
    - up to 18 years of age who have a statement of significant or moderate disability
    - up to 24 years of age who have a statement on the need for special education.
  • insured parents or guardians of disabled adults who are released from obligation of performing work due to the need to provide care for such a person.


Additional childcare allowance beyond the statutory limit

The period of payment of the additional childcare allowance does not count into the general limit of 60 days of care allowance to which the insured person is entitled during the year.


How to get the additional childcare allowance?

An insured person who wants to receive an additional childcare allowance, submits a statement to their employer. A form of the statement can be downloaded from